- Not known
Showing 140 resultsPeople & Organisations
- 1824 - 1896
- Corporate body
- 1886 - present
The Old Elizabethans Association was formed in 1886 as an informal dining club. It took on its present form in the 1920s.
The aims of the Association are to further the interests of Queen Elizabeth's School and of its past and present members, and to promote social and sporting activities among those members.
- Corporate body
MA Exeter College, Oxford.
Master/Teacher at Queen Elizabeth's.
Master of Broughton House circa 1958 - 1962.
- 9 November 1841 - 6 May 1910
Headmaster: 1875 - 1906
- Corporate body
- 1876 - 1984
School magazine first published Autumn 1876. It finally ceased publication in 1984.
Its publication schedule was originally three times a year (one a term). This schedule ceased in 1968 and there were occasional issues published after this year until 1984.
A black border on page 1 of the Summer 1910 issue marks the death of King Edward VII.
Change of style from Autumn 1932, which was the first issue after the School moved to the Queens Road buildings.
The format changed again in 1968.
A centenary compilation edition appeared in 1976.
The portcullis design on the original magazine is by F A Collier, a visiting Art master. This drawing became the basis of the Old Elizabethans badge.
Headmaster 1961 - 1983
Student at Queen Elizabeth's circa 1932 - 1939
- 1932 -
KCMG, MA, Hon LLD, FRSA, FRGS
Leslie Fielding attended Queen Elizabeth's School 1943 - 1951.
After army service, he read Economics at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (but switched to History and dabbled in Theology). On graduation in 1956, he took second place in the open competition for entry to the Diplomatic Service.
This was not to be a farewell to academia. Sir Leslie subsequently studied Persian at the School of Oriental and African Studies; was a Visiting Fellow at St Antony’s College, Oxford (when he married a medieval history don at St Hilda’s); and eventually became Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sussex (1987 - 1992). He chaired the Geography Working Group for the National Curriculum in Schools and served for ten years as Honorary President of the University Association for Contemporary European Studies.
In the Diplomatic Service, Leslie Fielding spent sever years in the Foreign Office in London (on the West European Desk and in the ‘Think Tank’), as well as serving political assignments in overseas embassies in Tehran, Singapore, Phnom Penh, and Paris. He joined the External Relations Directorate-General in the European Commission in Brussels in 1973, as the Director with special responsibility for Europe’s relations with the US and the Commonwealth. He subsequently became European Commission Ambassador in Tokyo, returning to Brussels as Director-General (1982 - 1987).
After leaving the Commission, he was for some years a non-executive director of IBM (Europe) and a Special Adviser to Panasonic (Europe).
Leslie Fielding’s book Before the Killing Fields: Witness to Cambodia and the Vietnam War, with a preface by Chris Patten, was launched in November 2007. He had previously contributed to two anthologies of travel stories.
Sir Leslie was knighted on leaving the Commission. He was made an Honorary Fellow of Emmanuel College in 1990. He has been a Lay Reader in the Church of England for thirty years, in Exeter, Tokyo, Gibraltar, and Hereford Dioceses – serving also on the General Synod. He was made a Reader Emeritus in Hereford Diocese in 2007.
Student at Queen Elizabeth’s School 1922 - 1927
Headmaster 1906 - 1929
Student at Queen Elizabeth's 1928 - 1934
MA from Queen's College, Oxford.
History Master/Teacher at Queen Elizabeth's School, Barnet.
Business Manager for the production of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare presented by Queen Elizabeth's School Dramatic Society on 12-14 March 1959.
OE (1942-?) and Governor
Maths master/teacher. Began his teaching career at the School in 1932, aged 23. In 1950 he became Senior Master, a post he held until he retired in 1971. Pearce House was created and named after him in 1971.
Master/Teacher 1931 - 1950.
Harrisons' house named after him and an earlier master of the same surname, G W N Harrison.
Harrisons' house named after him and a later teacher of the same surname, E W Harrison.
- 2 June 1945 - 2 February 2021
Student at Queen Elizabeth’s School 1956 – 1964.
Served as a governor of the School in the 1990s.
Helped to initiate the QE Collections digital project. Started the Digital Fund, which funds the project.