Showing 113 resultsPeople & Organisations
MA from Queen's College, Oxford.
History Master/Teacher at Queen Elizabeth's School, Barnet.
Business Manager for the production of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare presented by Queen Elizabeth's School Dramatic Society on 12-14 March 1959.
- 1824 - 1896
OE (1942-?) and Governor
- 24 June 1532 - 4 September 1588
1st Earl of Leicester. At the request of Dudley, Queen Elizabeth I granted a Charter 'for one Common Grammar School in or near the town of Barnet which shall be called the Free Grammar School of Queen Elizabeth, for the education, bringing up, and instruction of boys and youth, to be brought up in grammar and literary matter or grammar art, and the same to continue for ever'.
- 9 November 1841 - 6 May 1910
Headmaster 1961 - 1983
- Corporate body
- 1876 - 1984
School magazine first published Autumn 1876. It finally ceased publication in 1984.
Its publication schedule was originally three times a year (one a term). This schedule ceased in 1968 and there were occasional issues published after this year until 1984.
A black border on page 1 of the Summer 1910 issue marks the death of King Edward VII.
Change of style from Autumn 1932, which was the first issue after the School moved to the Queens Road buildings.
The format changed again in 1968.
A centenary compilation edition appeared in 1976.
The portcullis design on the original magazine is by F A Collier, a visiting Art master. This drawing became the basis of the Old Elizabethans badge.
- 20 April 1881 - 21 August 1974
Alderman Fern gave much of his time to the world of amateur swimming administration, who also served in local government and was a governor of the School from 1921 to 1965, including a period as chairman.
He came to Founder's Day on Saturday 15th June 1974, when he cut the ribbon to the Fern Building, which was named in his honour.
His name lives on not only in the Amateur Swimming Association's headquarters in Loughborough (Harold Fern House) and the Fern Building at School, but also in the School's H E Fern prize for Social Service, which he generously endowed.
- 1932 -
KCMG, MA, Hon LLD, FRSA, FRGS
Leslie Fielding attended Queen Elizabeth's School 1943 - 1951.
After army service, he read Economics at Emmanuel College, Cambridge (but switched to History and dabbled in Theology). On graduation in 1956, he took second place in the open competition for entry to the Diplomatic Service.
This was not to be a farewell to academia. Sir Leslie subsequently studied Persian at the School of Oriental and African Studies; was a Visiting Fellow at St Antony’s College, Oxford (when he married a medieval history don at St Hilda’s); and eventually became Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sussex (1987 - 1992). He chaired the Geography Working Group for the National Curriculum in Schools and served for ten years as Honorary President of the University Association for Contemporary European Studies.
In the Diplomatic Service, Leslie Fielding spent sever years in the Foreign Office in London (on the West European Desk and in the ‘Think Tank’), as well as serving political assignments in overseas embassies in Tehran, Singapore, Phnom Penh, and Paris. He joined the External Relations Directorate-General in the European Commission in Brussels in 1973, as the Director with special responsibility for Europe’s relations with the US and the Commonwealth. He subsequently became European Commission Ambassador in Tokyo, returning to Brussels as Director-General (1982 - 1987).
After leaving the Commission, he was for some years a non-executive director of IBM (Europe) and a Special Adviser to Panasonic (Europe).
Leslie Fielding’s book Before the Killing Fields: Witness to Cambodia and the Vietnam War, with a preface by Chris Patten, was launched in November 2007. He had previously contributed to two anthologies of travel stories.
Sir Leslie was knighted on leaving the Commission. He was made an Honorary Fellow of Emmanuel College in 1990. He has been a Lay Reader in the Church of England for thirty years, in Exeter, Tokyo, Gibraltar, and Hereford Dioceses – serving also on the General Synod. He was made a Reader Emeritus in Hereford Diocese in 2007.
- Corporate body
The Fleet Air Arm (FAA) is one of the five fighting arms of the Royal Navy and is responsible for the delivery of naval air power both from land and at sea.
Master/Teacher 1931 - 1950.
Harrisons' house named after him and an earlier master of the same surname, G W N Harrison.
Harrisons' house named after him and a later teacher of the same surname, E W Harrison.
- 1897 - 1985
Headmaster 1930 - 1961
- 20 April 1584 – 16 May 1671
Governor of the school, 1637 - 1671. John Langham began his career as an apprentice to Sir Richard Napier, a merchant who traded in Turkey. Langham later used this experience of trading in the Mediterranean to get jobs with the Levant Company and East India Company. Langham became prominent and wealthy working for these companies. In 1639 he bought Cotsbrooke Manor in Northamptonshire. Following the outbreak of the English Civil War in 1642, Langham was imprisoned in the Tower of London for expressing opposition to the New Model Army. During the Commonwealth, he raised funds for a Royalist conspiracy. After Cromwell's death, Langham helped pave the way for Charles II's restoration to the throne: Langham was among the group who negotiated the King's return to power, which was set out in the Declaration of Breda. Of the £50,000 presented to Charles II at the end of his exile, Langham contributed £5,310. Langham then raised a further £10,000 to pay off the Navy. He was knighted on 16 May 1660 by Charles II in the Hague, just before the Charles' return to England. Later in 1660 Langham was elected the member of parliament for Southwark. He died at the age of 87, exactly eleven years to the day after he was knighted.